SCHOOL MISSION, VALUES, AND GOALS
As the only specialized school for children with dyslexia in the Brazos Valley, Renner Academy takes great pride in maximizing the potential of children with dyslexia and other language-based learning differences. With small class sizes, caring and knowledgeable teachers and staff, and an environment that allows students to feel safe and supported, Renner Academy empowers students to reach their fullest potential as learners, thinkers, and leaders.
- Our ultimate goal is to create lifelong learners that are equipped with the skills and tools needed to thrive in our ever-evolving world.
- Learning is a journey, not a destination.
- If an approach doesn’t work, we must find a different approach. We must never fault a learner for learning differently than we teach.
- Renner Academy actively follows and teaches students about the power of having a growth mindset. We highly encourage all teachers, parents, and other humans to read Mindset by Carol Dweck. The video below provides a quick overview:
- Maslow before Bloom!
- We are each individually responsible for showing up as the best version of ourselves each day.
- Attaching negative intent is never helpful. Negative behaviors are usually indicators of areas of need.
- Each day is a new opportunity to make a positive impact in our little slice of the world.
- We move as quickly as we can but as slow as we need to to ensure that students are equipped with a solid academic foundation.
Founder’s goal: The goal of Renner Academy’s Head of School is to choose thoughts/beliefs, words, and actions that support the school’s mission by providing staff members with the knowledge, training, and tools needed to foster an environment that is safe, positive, and conducive to optimized learning, meaningful connections, and the acquisition of important life skills such as self-awareness, self-advocacy, emotion regulation, conflict resolution, problem solving, time/space management, growth mindset, self-care etc.
Staff’s goal: The collective goal of the teachers and staff at Renner Academy is to choose thoughts/beliefs, words, and actions that support the school mission.
Progress, not perfection:
When we notice thoughts, words, or actions that do not align with our mission, we will extend grace to ourselves/others and course correct as quickly as possible.